So this week I am going to use the mincemeat that I made a few weeks ago. Now, these mince pies are not exactly the traditional ones that can be widely seen around this time of year; these ones don’t have a pastry top, but a cake-like top. I find these once much nicer as I’m not a huge fan of pastry.
Like the mincemeat, these are super easy to make. Also ,if you have a nut allergy, you can just remove the almond. I know that the recipe still works well, as I have tried it.
Okay so what are you going to need? Well, you will need a bun tin, and a 7cm round cookie cutter, but also the following:
- 375g pack of shortcrust pastry (get the pre-rolled one; I won’t tell anyone if you don’t!)
- Your home made mincemeat
- 50g madeira cake
- 50g ground almond
- 25g caster sugar
- 50g butter (softened)
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp candied peel
- 100g marzipan (chopped finely)
- 25g flaked almond
- You will also need a little icing sugar for dusting, and some flour to stop the pastry from sticking when cutting it out.
- First, lightly flour where you are working, lay out your pre-rolled pastry, and cut out your pastry circles, then press them into your bun tin.
- Add a few teaspoons of the mincemeat into each one.
- Next, in a food processor, add the cake, ground almonds, sugar, butter and egg yolk and mix until smooth. Stir the marzipan (make sure that it’s chopped very small) and the candied peel.
- Now add this over the top of the mincemeat, then add a few flaked almonds to the top. You can put them in the fridge for up to a day, or freeze for three months.
- Now with your oven pre heated to 200C/180C fan or gas mark 6, you will need to bake them for 20-25 mins, until they are a golden brown. Once cooked, dust with icing sugar and wait for them to cool before removing from the tin.
By the way, these taste so much better warm. Either bake when needed, or warm in the microwave before eating.
See, it’s not that difficult to bake some delicious, fresh mince pies!
That’s all for now, so, until next time, bye!
PS: ITS ONLY FIVE WEEKS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!